From: DrWeil.com (Dr. Andrew Weil)
Why Buy Organic?
I have long been a proponent of organic foods - I believe they have NEED.
The United Kingdom's Soil Association is the leading organic certifier for
that region. They published a list of 10 reasons for eating organic - all of
which I agree with:
1. It's healthy. Organic food tends to contain higher levels of
vitamin C, cancer-fighting antioxidants, and essential minerals such as
calcium, magnesium, iron and chromium.
2. No nasty additives. Organic food doesn't contain food additives
that can cause health problems such as heart disease, osteoporosis,
migraines and hyperactivity.
3. It avoids pesticides. More than 400 chemical pesticides are
routinely used in conventional farming and residues are often present in
4. No genetic modification. Under organic standards, genetically
modified (GM) crops and ingredients are not allowed.
5. There is not a reliance on drugs. Organic farming standards
prohibit the routine use of antibiotics and growth hormones in farm animals.
6. There are no hidden costs. As taxpayers, we pay for chemicals
to be removed from our drinking water - including the pesticide runoff from
7. There are high standards. Organic food comes from trusted
sources that are inspected to ensure compliance to organic standards.
8. Organic methods provide for animals. Animal welfare is taken
very seriously under organic standards.
9. It's good for wildlife and the environment. The UK government
has said that organic farming is better for wildlife, causes lower pollution
from sprays, produces less carbon dioxide - the main global warming gas -
and less dangerous wastes.
10. It's flavorful. Many people prefer organic food because they
say it tastes better.