Ferrum phos is a tissue salt that has traditionally been used symptomatically in the early stages of the inflammatory process and when generally ‘off colour’. Conditions which may benefit include fever, earache and nose bleeds, either taken on it’s own or with Aconite or Belladonna.
Always read the label. Homoeopathic principles should be applied when using this remedy. If symptoms persist consult your health care professional promptly.
Phosphate of Iron
Remedy picture as described in traditional homoeopathic texts.
In the early stages of inflammatory conditions Ferrum phos sits between Aconite and Belladonna with acute onset of symptoms or with Gelsemium with its slower onset. Ferrum phos should be considered when there is a lack of clear indicating symptoms. People needing Ferrum phos tend to catch cold easily and experience symptoms on the left side of their body. This remedy often resonates with periods of change such as puberty, menses and menopause.
Sensitivity to noise, does not like to be contradicted and prefers to be alone. There is a desire to be still and an aversion to activity yet they are propelled to move due to pain, ailments or restlessness. Changeable moods. Trifles seem important to them, or there can be few mental emotional symptoms, they just seem ‘off color’.
Eyes: Red, inflamed and burning. Sensation as if ‘sand under upper eyelid’.
Nose: Nosebleed, with bright red blood, especially in children.
Ears: Noises, throbbing, first stage of inflammatory processes; ringing in ears worse from lying down, menses, deafness from colds.
Face: Flushed cheeks that are sore and hot; alternating symptoms pale then red, hot mouth; hot, sore throat and tonsils; minor nosebleeds.
Head: Sensitive scalp worse for touch, cold, noise and jarring. Constant headache for 2-3 days approximately every 14 days with throbbing or hammering in head, ill effects from being out in the sun, vertigo, ailments are better for cold applications.
Throat: Ulcerated sore throat, red swollen tonsils, pain worse from empty swallowing.
Respiratory: First stage of all inflammatory conditions, short painful, tickling cough, sounds hard and dry better at night.
Female: Menses every 3 weeks and worse from motion, pain in uterus worse when lying down, prolapses, varicose veins during pregnancy.
Extremities: Stiff neck; rheumatic type pains worse for the slightest movement; sore bruised feeling; hot palms, aching in wrists with a loss of power, sciatica better for motion, muscular pain in shoulders and deltoid worse left side.
- Cutting pains
- Ailments from loss of body fluids
- Mild fever from congestion, heat of sun or mechanical injuries
- Feeling weak and off colour
- Earaches with congestion and pain
- Dry, spasmodic cough with vomiting
- Taking cold
- Blood loss
- Excessive sweating
- Mechanical injuries
Better: Gentle exercise; warmth
Worse: Cold air; exertion; 4-6 am; eggs
Desires: Lemon; lemonade; alcohol
Aversions: Meat; milk, eggs
Compare to: Aconite, Arsenicum, Gelsemium, Veratrum, Arnica, Pulsatilla
Homoeopathy is an effective and scientific system of healing that gently and safely restores health and vitality to the mind and body by encouraging the natural tendency of the body to heal itself. This makes it an empowering tool for parents in the nurturing and health care of their children.
Homoeopathy recognises that all symptoms of ill health are expressions of disharmony and that it is the patient who needs treatment - not the disease.
Homoeopathic medicine is understood to act by stimulating a healing response in the body by way of its similarity to the existing complaint.
Homoeopathy follows definite scientific laws of preparation, prescription and cure.
Taking of Homoeopathic Remedies
- The remedies are absorbed in the mouth, so are best held in the mouth for several minutes before swallowing. In the case of pilules, allow them to dissolve under the tongue.
- Unless the dose is very frequent, half an hour before meals, or between meals, is the best time to take your dose. However, 10 minutes before or after a meal or taking a drink, is acceptable.
- Do not use peppermint toothpaste, or drink strong peppermint tea, or ordinary coffee as these may antidote your remedies.
- Do not smoke, brush your teeth or gargle, or drink alcohol, within half an hour of taking remedies.
- Do not touch the remedies with your hands. Liquids may be administered on a teaspoon, diluted with water. Likewise, when administering pilules to infants or small children, a teaspoon is helpful. Pilules can be rolled into the lid of the vial, and then dropped under the tongue.
- If any pilules are dropped, they should be discarded and not returned to the bottle.
- Store your remedies away from direct light and heat, and away from all strong smelling substances, particularly camphor, as the potency of the medicine will be weakened.
- When using Homoeopathic remedies, do not use products such as "Vicks" or "Deep Heat", as these will antidote the remedy. There are very effective Homoeopathic creams which you can use instead when needed.
- When taking more than one medicine, separate the doses by at least 10 minutes, preferably longer.
- Store your medicines away from electrical appliances such as fridge, TV, microwave, clock radio and stereo.