Calc phos has traditionally been used for symptoms associated with teething, poor appetite, leg cramps, stomach cramps in babies and headaches in adolescents. These kids can be whiny and discontented and often crave salty foods. They may be tired, thin, glandular and growing. Traditionally calcium phosphate was used in tonics and believed to improve the absorption of nutrients and have a tonic effect at times of rapid growth.
Always read the label. Homoeopathic principles should be applied when using this remedy. If symptoms persist consult your health care practitioner promptly.
Remedy picture as described in traditional homoeopathic texts.
Calc Phos is essential to growth and nutrition in the body. This is a tissue salt that is found in the blood, saliva, gastric juices, bones, connective tissue, teeth etc. It gives solidity to bones and has an affinity for albumin and therefore is used where we find whitish discharges. It is nutritious for the periosteum of the bones where red blood cells are formed. It is indicated in all bone afflictions and glandular systems. Calc phos promotes ossification of bones in fractures and broken bones. It has restorative powers after acute disease either directly or by preparing the way for other remedies, so making it an important intercurrent remedy.
There is a general mental weakness towards sustained mental exertion; impaired memory, and anxiety with all troubles. It is very supportive for children who experience headaches from studying or mental exertion and become easily despondent. Symptoms come on after grief, anger or disappointment. They may experience palpitations with anxiety followed by trembling weakness especially in calves; involuntary sighing.
Ears: Outer ears feel cold, bones around the ear ache, chronic catarrh of the ear and throat at same time. Stuffed feeling in the ears.
Eyes: Spasms of eyelids where Mag phos fails, photophobia, cannot use eyes in dim light, feels as if something is in the eye, cool feeling behind the eyes.
Nose: Large nasal polyps, pressure at root of nose, crusts in nostrils, fullness in throat, chronic tonsillitis. Tip of nose feels icy cold.
Teeth: Slow dentition and complaints associated with teething; early decay of teeth.
Head: Vertigo in old age, cold feeling in head, headaches near bone sutures, crawling sensation, headaches in school girls who are maturing, bald spots on head.
Neck and Back: Neck thin as if too weak to support head; stiffness of neck from draught, backache in lumbar region on waking, backache. Aching in shoulder blades, cramping pains in wrists, fingers, esp. thumb, ankle feels dislocated. Pain in small spots.
Respiration: Hoarseness and cough day and night; involuntary sighing, soreness around clavicle and sternum, chesty symptoms after surgery.
Stomach and Abdomen: Heartburn and flatulence, unusual hunger, sinking sensation in epigastrium, disturbed digestion with distress in stomach, baby wants to nurse all the time and vomits often and easily, colic with green, slimy, undigested diarrhoea and smelly flatus. Crying spells caused by soreness and pain around navel area. Oozing hemorrhoids, fissures of anus.
Female: Weakness and distress in uterine area, prolapses, soreness in sacro-iliac area, labour-like pains before and after menses. Slow maturation in girls.
Urination: Bed wetting, enuresis in old people.
Extremities: Aching in shoulders, gouty growths, pains in knees and aching limbs, spinal afflictions.
Skin: Pimples on upper part of body, senile itching of skin, skin becomes red and itches after bath.
- Whingy, whiny and discontented
- Swollen glands and chronic catarrh
- Colic, stomach aches at time of growth
- Headaches in school children
- Leg pains at night
- Poor appetite and feeble digestion
• Painful joints and broken bones
- Times of rapid growth
- Loss of fluids
- Weather changes
- Broken bones
- Grief, disappointments or bad news
- Poor diet
Better: Lying down; warmth; dry weather; after supper
Worse: Cold; motion; change of weather; getting wet; dampness; humidity; teething; puberty
Desires: Bacon; smoked meat; salt fish; indigestible things
Aversions: Mother’s milk; smoking; sweets
Dose: Lower potencies such as 6x are usual, however higher potencies are preferred for the aged.
Compare to: Calc carb; Baryta carb in aged, Ruta in joint problem, Phos, Ignatia.
Follow with: Silica, Sulphur
Homoeopathy is an effective and scientific system of healing that gently and safely restores health and vitality to the mind and body by encouraging the natural tendency of the body to heal itself. This makes it an empowering tool for parents in the nurturing and health care of their children.
Homoeopathy recognises that all symptoms of ill health are expressions of disharmony and that it is the patient who needs treatment - not the disease.
Homoeopathic medicine is understood to act by stimulating a healing response in the body by way of its similarity to the existing complaint.
Homoeopathy follows definite scientific laws of preparation, prescription and cure.
Taking of Homoeopathic Remedies
- The remedies are absorbed in the mouth, so are best held in the mouth for several minutes before swallowing. In the case of pilules, allow them to dissolve under the tongue.
- Unless the dose is very frequent, half an hour before meals, or between meals, is the best time to take your dose. However, 10 minutes before or after a meal or taking a drink, is acceptable.
- Do not use peppermint toothpaste, or drink strong peppermint tea, or ordinary coffee as these may antidote your remedies.
- Do not smoke, brush your teeth or gargle, or drink alcohol, within half an hour of taking remedies.
- Do not touch the remedies with your hands. Liquids may be administered on a teaspoon, diluted with water. Likewise, when administering pilules to infants or small children, a teaspoon is helpful. Pilules can be rolled into the lid of the vial, and then dropped under the tongue.
- If any pilules are dropped, they should be discarded and not returned to the bottle.
- Store your remedies away from direct light and heat, and away from all strong smelling substances, particularly camphor, as the potency of the medicine will be weakened.
- When using Homoeopathic remedies, do not use products such as "Vicks" or "Deep Heat", as these will antidote the remedy. There are very effective Homoeopathic creams which you can use instead when needed.
- When taking more than one medicine, separate the doses by at least 10 minutes, preferably longer.
- Store your medicines away from electrical appliances such as fridge, TV, microwave, clock radio and stereo.