Belladonna has traditionally been used for symptoms arising suddenly with bright redness, heat of the face or affected part and intense throbbing pain and congestion such as with earache, colds, flu, fever, sore throat, headache, toothache and mastitis.
Always read the label. Homoeopathic principles should be applied when using this remedy. If symptoms persist consult your health care practitioner promptly.
Atropa belladonna – Deadly Nightshade
Remedy picture as described in traditional homoeopathic texts.
Like Aconite, Belladonna suits the first stage of the inflammatory process, particularly in small children. In Belladonna the symptoms come and go suddenly often accompanied by a hot red face. They easily take cold and are sensitive to drafts of air especially when uncovering the head, getting the head wet or having a haircut.
There is a sudden and intense reaction to events with violent onset of symptoms. Fever with mania, fury and hallucinations that can result in a fear of imaginary things that make them want to run away and hide. Acuteness of senses; dislike light, touch and sudden jarring motion. Desire to bite, grind the teeth, pull hair, spit, kick and strike. They can be lively and entertaining when well but become violent and delirious when sick; sometimes an angel, sometimes a devil.
Head: Headache that is throbbing/hammering in the forehead. The skin feels hot red and burning producing a flushed face, or alternating redness and pallor. Symptoms are worse for the least jolt, noise, or motion and better for pressure, tight bandaging/wrapping up. The person may bore their head into the pillow. Vertigo with every change of position.
Ears: Intense tearing pains in the middle and external ear, humming noises, parotid glands swollen, sensitive to loud sounds, heat and throbbing in ears, autophony- when they hear their own voice in the ear. The person may cry out in their sleep. Pain is in right ear or starts in the right.
Eyes: Pupils dilated and the eyes glazed and staring.
Breast: Sudden onset of mastitis with congestion, throbbing and redness. Red streaks may be radiating from the nipple.
Chest: Dry tickling cough, constriction of throat, dry mouth and throat, craving for lemons.
Throat: The throat feels constricted and it is difficult to swallow, there may be a sensation of a lump in the throat, dryness and spasms in throat with a desire to swallow. Tonsils inflamed and enlarged after exposure to cold wind, especially on the right side.
Skin: The skin has a uniform, smooth, shining scarlet redness to it that is dry, hot and burning. Recurrent boils.
Acne that is red and looks suppurative.
Fever and Thirst: High and sudden fever with burning, radiated heat yet the feet feel icy cold, perspiration only on the head, no thirst with fever.
Pain: Usually short attacks of intense throbbing pain, which can be sharp, shooting or burning.
Sleep: Sleepy but unable to sleep, or cry out, jerk and twitch during sleep. Sleep talking.
- Hot, flushed red face with dilated pupils, high fever
- Throbbing, burning, cramping congestion
- Stitching or stabbing pains
- Rapid, violent onset of symptoms
- Symptoms usually right sided
- Delirium and convulsions
- Desire to bite
- Over-exposure to sun
- Getting head wet or cold, eg. hair cut/washed
Better: Applying warmth or rugging up; standing or sitting upright; pressure; bending backwards
Worse: Jarring or jolting; motion; bright light; noise; pressure; sun; cold; lying down; at night after midnight and after 3pm
Desires: Lemons; lemonade; beer; hot food
Aversions: Coffee; drinks; sour; warm food; water
Repetition of the dose: Belladonna may need to be repeated frequently initially
Compare to: Glonoine, Hypericum, Aconite, Chamomilla, Bryonia, Gelsemium
Follow with: Calc carb, Sulphur
Homoeopathy is an effective and scientific system of healing that gently and safely restores health and vitality to the mind and body by encouraging the natural tendency of the body to heal itself. This makes it an empowering tool for parents in the nurturing and health care of their children.
Homoeopathy recognises that all symptoms of ill health are expressions of disharmony and that it is the patient who needs treatment - not the disease.
Homoeopathic medicine is understood to act by stimulating a healing response in the body by way of its similarity to the existing complaint.
Homoeopathy follows definite scientific laws of preparation, prescription and cure.
Taking of Homoeopathic Remedies
- The remedies are absorbed in the mouth, so are best held in the mouth for several minutes before swallowing. In the case of pilules, allow them to dissolve under the tongue.
- Unless the dose is very frequent, half an hour before meals, or between meals, is the best time to take your dose. However, 10 minutes before or after a meal or taking a drink, is acceptable.
- Do not use peppermint toothpaste, or drink strong peppermint tea, or ordinary coffee as these may antidote your remedies.
- Do not smoke, brush your teeth or gargle, or drink alcohol, within half an hour of taking remedies.
- Do not touch the remedies with your hands. Liquids may be administered on a teaspoon, diluted with water. Likewise, when administering pilules to infants or small children, a teaspoon is helpful. Pilules can be rolled into the lid of the vial, and then dropped under the tongue.
- If any pilules are dropped, they should be discarded and not returned to the bottle.
- Store your remedies away from direct light and heat, and away from all strong smelling substances, particularly camphor, as the potency of the medicine will be weakened.
- When using Homoeopathic remedies, do not use products such as "Vicks" or "Deep Heat", as these will antidote the remedy. There are very effective Homoeopathic creams which you can use instead when needed.
- When taking more than one medicine, separate the doses by at least 10 minutes, preferably longer.
- Store your medicines away from electrical appliances such as fridge, TV, microwave, clock radio and stereo.